On top of their formal request for the National Hockey League to suspend all playoff games last night, Rick Westhead, a senior correspondent for TSN, reports the HDA (Hockey Diversity Alliance) has a number of other demands.
Hockey Diversity Alliance, an association made up of seven players whose stated purpose is to eradicate systemic racism and intolerance in hockey, have also revealed these demands:
- Team owners offer NHL rinks to be used as polling stations for the upcoming US election
- NHL should be fully transparent about “all information related to the policies, targets and commitments” related to the hiring of employees who are visible minorities.
- NHL to commit to funding $100 million dollars over 10 years to battle "systemic racism."
- NHL make a statement by temporarily changing the blue line to black.
- NHL to run PSAs for the HDA during the playoffs this summer.
- NHL to have on-ice presence of the HDA logo.
- HDA has also proposed “Black out” warm up jerseys to help build awareness of their organization and its agenda. Later to be auctioned off to raise money for their cause.
The NHL has yet to release a response to these demands but most likely will in the coming days.
This is a developing story and will be updated.