Canadian News Jun 2, 2021 3:39 PM EST

BREAKING: Ford to keep schools shut for remainder of academic year: source

Ford's planning and priorities committee decided all schools would remain shut, rather than opting for a region-by-region approach.

BREAKING: Ford to keep schools shut for remainder of academic year: source
Roberto Wakerell-Cruz Montreal, QC
Privacy and free speech are under attack.
Take back your internet freedom with Surfshark.
Save 81% now
Privacy and free speech are under attack. Take back your internet freedom with Surfshark.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford will keep schools closed for the remainder of the academic year, a source has told CTV News.

According to the source, Ford's planning and priorities committee decided all schools would remain shut, rather than opting for a region-by-region approach.

Cabinet has not finalized the decision, with a press conference expected 1 pm today.

According to CTV's Colin D'Mello, today's announcement will not include information on the province's "Step 1" reopening strategy.  

Ford has expressed hesitance at the idea of school reopenings, noting that his health and science team found that a reopening could result in a six to 11 percent increase in COVID transmissions.

Ford also said last week that this could charge a fourth wave, as the B.1.6.1.7 variant, first detected in India, continues to make its way through Canada.

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial