The mistreatment of Western Canadians was called out by the Conservative party on Thursday. The Liberal's disdain for Western Canada has pushed us to the brink of a national unity crisis. It's clear that the Trudeau government, and the other parties on the left, do not respect the West.
Even the Premier's acknowledged this by unanimously endorsing a proposal to reform the Fiscal Stabilization Program. The provincial partners were united in their call for an equalization rebate, but Justin Trudeau ignored them.
Today, Canada's Conservatives announced that they are committed to implementing the proposed changes to the Fiscal Stabilization Program and ensuring that provinces who have given more than their fair share during some of their most difficult times are compensated.
The $5 billion Equalization Rebate will benefit Saskatchewan, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador and can be reinvested into job creation and spurring innovation.
Further to address the mistreatment of Western Canadians, Canada's Conservatives will:
- Treat the energy sector as the key driver of Canada's economy
- Repeal Bill C-69 and fix the Impact Assessment process
- Put an end to the Tanker Ban in British Columbia
- Fast-track review of emissions-reducing projects to get shovels in the ground
- Actually get the Trans Mountain pipeline project built
- Implement a federal LNG Export Strategy
- Add fairness to equalization by adopting the Equalization and Transfers Fairness Act and passing it as quickly as possible
Beginning to address Equalization through this rebate is just the first step. Western Canadians deserve respect and a secure future.
The choice is clear, more of the same from Justin Trudeau's Liberals and the other parties on the left or restoring fairness in Saskatchewan with Canada's Conservatives.
Warren Steinley is a Conservative MP for Regina-Lewvan.