The city of Toronto has said that it will not fine trick or treaters on Halloween, stating that “Trick-or-treating isn’t a crime”
According to the Toronto Sun, the Monday afternoon announcement was made in response to a previous article written by the publication on the comments made by the head of the city’s emergency management, Toronto Fire Chief Matthew Pegg.
Pegg said in a news conference that “Our enforcement teams are active every day and night of the year, and that will certainly be the case on Halloween.”
Pegg and city spokesman Brad Ross then walked back the comments, telling the Sun that the city had no by-laws prohibiting trick-or-treating. Pegg added that in his response, he was referring to large parties which would violate the current provincial gathering limits on gatherings.
“The recommendations provided by Ontario’s chief medical officer of health are just that—strong recommendations that are in the best interest of public health.”
Earlier on Monday, the provincial government strongly discouraged trick-or-treating in the regions where it has imposed its Stage 2 lockdown. These regions are Toronto, Peel, York, and Ottawa.
City of Toronto officials doubled-down on the recommendations from the provincial government, despite the fact that trick or treating takes place outside, children will mostly be wearing masks, there is little physical contact, and the candy is pre-packaged.
Pegg did ask Torontonians who see illegal gatherings or activities on Halloween night to call 311.