Ilhan Omar's daughter arrested during pro-Hamas sit-in at Columbia University

Just hours earlier, Hirsi learned that she and two other students had been suspended from the school for taking part in the "unauthorized encampment."

Jarryd Jaeger Vancouver, BC
It has been revealed that Rep. Ilhan Omar's daughter Isra Hirsi was among those arrested on Thursday for their involvement in an anti-Israel protest at Columbia University. At the direction of President Minouche Shafik, the "Liberated Zone" was dismantled and over a hundred demonstrators were escorted off campus by officers with the New York Police Department.

Just hours earlier, Hirsi learned that she and two other students had been suspended from the school for taking part in the "unauthorized encampment."

A visibly upset Hirsi was spotted among the crowd of protestors being handcuffed and led off the premises by officers in riot gear.

According to the Daily Mail, when all was said and done, at least 108 arrestees were issued summonses for trespassing. Speaking later Thursday, Mayor Eric Adams said the process did not result in any "violence or injury."

"After numerous warnings issued by campus security and the NYPD the students and those who were occupying the space," he explained, "NYPD officers moved in to ensure the safety of the campus, the students and the staff."

Following her suspension, Hirsi posted on X that she was not going to back down.

"those of us in Gaza Solidarity Encampment will not be intimidated," she wrote. "we will stand resolute until our demands are met. our demands include divestment from companies complicit in genocide, transparency of [Columbia]'s investments and FULL amnesty for all students facing repression."

School officials refused to abide by demonstrators' demands, opting instead to ensure the safety of the university community by shutting things down.

Shortly before the mass arrests began, Shafik released a statement explaining why she had made the decision to call the police.

The "Liberated Zone" demonstration, she argued, "violates all of the new policies, severely disrupts campus life, and creates a harassing and intimidating environment for many of our students."

"I took this extraordinary step because these are extraordinary circumstances," her statement to the Columbia community continued. "Through direct conversations and in writing, the university provided multiple notices of these violations, including a written warning at 7:15 pm on Wednesday notifying students who remained in the encampment as of 9:00 pm that they would face suspension pending investigation. We also tried through a number of channels to engage with their concerns and offered to continue discussions if they agreed to disperse."
Sign in to comment


Powered by The Post Millennial CMS™ Comments

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me next month

To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© 2024 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy | Do Not Sell My Personal Information