ADVERTISEMENT

Trudeau Liberals to spend over $500 MILLION on COVID-related Ontario school infrastructure upgrades

The federal government will be spending $543.5 million on the project while the Ontario government will pitch in $113 million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

The federal government and the Ontario provincial government are collaborating on a project to spend $656.5 million on coronavirus-related infrastructure upgrades, including better ventilation systems and broadband upgrades to support remote learning.

The federal government will be spending $543.5 million on the project while the Ontario government will pitch in $113 million.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna announced the spending during a Wednesday morning press conference with Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce, CP24 reports.

"This is part of building back better because there will probably be another pandemic and with airborne transmission we can take measures like ventilation to make spaces safer and healthier for folks," McKenna said.

"Today’s announcement is important because it allows us to look forward and continue to build upon the investments Ontario has made to improve the safety of schools," said Lecce. "This will help support and improve the conditions of our schools and promote health and safety practices.

"That includes improved ventilation systems, hand washing systems and touchless doors," he continued. "These are all pragmatic investments that are going to make a difference now and into the future."

According to the Ontario government, the "majority of the funding will support ventilation projects that improve air quality in classrooms across the province." The rest of the money will go towards broadband infrastructure and interior redesigning meant to enhance the ability for students to socially distance.

The Ontario government had previously announced $50 million in funding to renovate ventilation systems in schools last summer, although many school districts said that they did not have time to upgrade their systems before the new school year.

The announcement comes just days after the Ontario government announced that schools across the province would remain closed to in-person learning following March break, which is this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
N/A by N/A is licensed under N/A

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me in September

We will use this to send you a single email in September 2020. To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
ADVERTISEMENT
© 2022 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy