Cities across the United States saw a spike in shooting related incidents and fatalities over the holiday, per outlets on both sides of the establishment media aisle.
CNN cites the Gun Violence Archive in their reporting that 150 people died as a result of gun violence “in more than 400 shootings” across the USA. They go on to list the various local incidents that happened in different cities over the holiday weekend. In what marks the attempted return to normalcy for the country amidst pandemic restrictions being loosened.
This list of incidents was compiled from a Fox News article on the same subject matter.
- Atlanta: a 14-year-old was killed on Saturday after a fight broke out involving “more than a dozen youths,” per 11Alive. What started as hand-to-hand combat escalated into gunfire, where the 14-year-old died and two others around the same age were injured.
- Chicago: According to the Sun Times, 16 are dead and 92 are injured from shootings over the weekend. “Usually, I feel safe around here. But now this has me questioning it because it’s close to home right now," said Toni Watkins. She lives in an apartment complex near to where one of the weekend shootings took place. Watkins told the outlet she fears for the safety of her children.
- Cincinnati: A 16-year-old and a 19-year-old reportedly had a “pre-existing disagreement” that brought them both to Smale Park on Sunday night. Right after a fireworks display, and as the crowd was headed home, the two youngsters managed to kill each other in a gunfight. Three other teens were hit in the crossfire and hospitalized.
- Fort Worth: The Associated Press reported that early on Sunday morning eight were injured in a gunfight at the Texas city’s car wash. Authorities revealed that several people were having an argument when one left and came back with a firearm and began shooting towards the group. Several in the immediate area drew their guns and fired back.
- Milwaukee: Adult female shot dead in the early morning hours.
- New York City: “At least 26 people shot across 21 separate incidents” over the weekend in NYC, per New York Post.
The incidents of violent encounters are numerous. Also this weekend pro golfer Gene Stiller was found dead at an Atlanta, Georgia country club, alongside two other bodies.
It was late last month that US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded to surging crime rates as hysteria. Meanwhile retail chains like Target and Walgreens announced they’re closing stores earlier in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento because of an increase in thefts.