“The reports are wrong. Do you understand?” Barnes fired back as a city staffer repeatedly urged him, “Let’s go,” and pulled him from the room.
On the night of the shooting, an SPD spokesperson announced that Acting Chief Tyrone Davis would lead the press conference and confirmed that Barnes was out of town. Multiple media outlets have reported that Barnes’ family remained in Chicago after he became Seattle’s police chief. Barnes, who also maintained family ties to Chicago while leading the Madison Police Department in Wisconsin, did not return to Seattle until Monday morning.
The confrontation occurred after Barnes and Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson concluded a press conference addressing the Sunday evening shooting. South Seattle Emerald reporter Connor Nash asked Barnes whether reports that he had planned to remain out of town until mid-August were accurate.
“That is not accurate,” Barnes responded.
When Nash asked when Barnes had originally planned to return, the chief turned around, walked back into the room and approached the reporter. “Let me tell you something,” Barnes said. “I don’t have to tell you where I go. I had a medical procedure on Friday.”
“I have been here working as hard as I can for this city from the day I got here. You got that?” Barnes added.
Nash responded, “But there are reports that you’re not in town often.”
“The reports are wrong. Do you understand?” Barnes fired back as a city staffer repeatedly urged him, “Let’s go,” and pulled him from the room.
Video of the confrontation quickly went viral on social media.
During the press conference, Barnes confirmed that he had been in Dallas attending the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives conference when the shooting occurred. “I was not in town yesterday,” Barnes said. “I wish that I had a crystal ball and we could schedule gun violence, but we can’t.”
Barnes was notably absent from a follow-up press conference later in the day, as another SPD spokesperson spoke to the media.
The public waited nearly five hours after the shooting for officials to confirm that only one suspect was in custody and another suspected shooter remained at large. The mayor’s office had initially issued an incorrect statement claiming that two suspects were in custody.
Authorities now believe at least three people participated in the gunfight outside the Seattle Center Armory near the Space Needle. A 15-year-old boy was detained at the scene and appeared in court Monday afternoon. A 19-year-old suspected shooter was among those killed, while at least one unidentified suspect remains at large.
According to documents filed in juvenile court, investigators believe the 15-year-old and the deceased suspect “engaged in a gunfight with at least one other unknown suspect.”
A judge ordered the teenager held in juvenile detention for investigation of first-degree assault and firearms violations. Police said the shooting may have been gang-related and involved two opposing groups.
The other victims killed were identified as Carlos Israel Sanchez Villalba, a 44-year-old father of three, and Ashley Whitehead, 56. Four others were wounded, including the toddler, who was later released from the hospital.
Powered by The Post Millennial CMS™ Comments
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month
To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

Comments