Use code TPM for up to 66% off at MyPillow.com

ADVERTISEMENT
American News Apr 30, 2022 5:14 PM EST

Manhattan grand jury probe against Trump expires without charges

"Mr. Bragg’s decision not to indict and prosecute is an error that will tarnish his time in office and career," remarked Michael Cohen.

Manhattan grand jury probe against Trump expires without charges
Nick Monroe Cleveland, Ohio

A Manhattan grand jury in a criminal probe against former President Trump expired on Friday. While the current district attorney had previously vowed the investigation he inherited was going to continue, sources say Alvin Bragg has since declined to move forward.

According to the Washington Post, when senior prosecutors Carey Dunne and Mark Pomerantz quit, it was seen as a death knell for the investigation. Sources speaking to the outlet said the grand jury "had been inactive for weeks" by that point.

New York Attorney General Letitia James is partnered with Bragg in the probe. Lawyers speaking to the outlet anonymously say they’re unsure a criminal case against Trump will move forward here. But the Attorney General’s official spokesperson says the investigation is still alive.

Letitia James has an ongoing civil investigation into Trump as well. On Monday, a New York state judge declared former President Trump as being in contempt of court for not responding to the attorney general’s subpoena request. New York Judge Arthur F. Engoron ordered Trump to comply with the subpoena, or face a $10,000-per-day penalty in the meantime.

Trump's legal team had since responded by saying they'll appeal Judge Engoron's decision, but he has since rejected the submitted affidavits.

The current Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg was tasked with the probe against Trump because it was started by the former DA, Cyrus R. Vance Jr. According to the Associated Press, Cyrus Vance Jr. fought for access to Trump’s tax records for years, believing there was potential for criminality.

The New Yorker described the former DA’s focus as being on alleged actions taken by Trump before he became President.

The latest grand jury to hear evidence against President Trump was first seated last November, but Bragg had since "paused" the process.

It was earlier this month that the current Manhattan DA swore that the criminal probe would continue.

"There have also been questions about the timing of the grand jury. As anyone who has worked on criminal cases in New York knows, New York County has grand juries sitting all the time. There is no magic at all to any previously reported dates. The team working on this investigation is comprised of dedicated, experienced career prosecutors. They are going through documents, interviewing witnesses, and exploring evidence not previously explored. In the long and proud tradition of white-collar prosecutions at the Manhattan D.A.'s Office, we are investigating thoroughly and following the facts without fear or favor."

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg didn’t want to go forward with charges because, according to the Post's sources, he wasn’t confident in relying on the credibility of Michael Coen as a key witness. He was a former Trump attorney who pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations, tax evasion, and misleading his role in the Stormy Daniels "hush money" payments.

In related news, a Trump election probe in Georgia decided to move forward with a special grand jury on Friday.

Ads by revcontent

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial