Canadian News Oct 26, 2020 2:22 PM EST

Ontario police officers attacked by protestors

A video released on Twitter by Police Commissioner Thomas Carrique depicts a pair of masked assailants attacking a police car with two officers inside.

Ontario police officers attacked by protestors
Leonardo Briceno Virginia, US
Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Support The Post Millennial

A video released on Twitter by Police Commissioner Thomas Carrique depicts a pair of masked assailants attacking a police car with two officers inside.

The incident, which took place in Caledonia, Ontario, left the car with a broken windshield and dented exterior. The officers depicted in the recording remained calm and did not make an attempt to engage the aggressors.

The officers had initially been accused of causing the unrest and escalating the situation, but the footage taken from the police car's dash-cam quickly dispelled accusations. Commissioner Carrique said his officers had been unfairly and falsely accused, praising their response to the situation.

"Extremely proud of my officers for their professional and measured response to keep the peace and preserve life while under attack," Carrique said on twitter.

CTV News reported that shortly after the attack on the police car, the officers attempted to arrest the masked assailants but encountered resistance, at one point having to dodge pieces of wood thrown at them by protestors. One of the officers discharged a rubber round, hitting a protestor in the leg, causing him to flee. The protestor fled on foot.

Of the two attackers seen, one wearing a black hoodie and carrying a lacrosse stick has been identified and is facing criminal charges. The other wearing a camouflage jacket remains unidentified and at large.

Ontario Premiere Doug Ford condemned the protestor's violence against the officers involved. "You get things settled by sitting around the table talking about solutions," Ford said. "You don't go after our police. You don't start burning telephone poles. You don't start digging up roads. That's unacceptable."

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial