Toronto Mayor John Tory said Monday that it could be a good idea to shut down adult entertainment venues again following a COVID-19 outbreak reported in a second strip club in the city, according to CTV News.
"I noticed that this person voluntarily closed their doors for two weeks, maybe it'd be better if they all closed and then we wouldn't have to worry about this," Tory said, referring to the recent outbreak at Club Paradise.
Official reportedly issued a warning on Sunday after six employees and one customer tested positive for the novel coronavirus at Club Paradise. While contact tracers had been attempted, it was reported by CTV News that around 300 attendees at adult entertainment venue were not able to be tracked down due to "incomplete contact tracing log information."
"Think of the time that's take by public health officials trying to track all of these people down, in many cases with quite frankly bogus phone numbers," Tory noted.
While dancing is currently banned at all restaurants and bars in Ontario, adult dancers are allowed to do their thing so long as they adhere to the social distancing guidelines.
"It's ironic that small theatres that can't open for performances yet these places are open for what they offer–and I'm not making a judgment on that I am just commenting on the nonsensical nature of that," Tory said.
CTV News reported "the city issues business licenses that allow adult entertainment venues to operate, but Tory said it would be improper to use licensing to shut them down during the pandemic."
"We can't just drop (business licenses) at the drop of a hat," Tory said, adding that he is asking the provincial government if the reopening guidelines should be changed so as to prevent strip clubs from operating as usual.