If big tech continues censoring conservatives, that means our days on these platforms may be numbered. Please take a minute to sign up to our mailing list so we can stay in touch with you, our community. Subscribe Now!
A 14-year-old male has been charged with first degree murder following a shooting in Winnipeg that killed a 27-year0old woman on Canada Day, according to CTV News.
The 14-year-old cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act however he is facing charges in connection with three other shootings that occurred on July 1 and 2, all of which police believe to be unrelated. Winnipeg Police also believe that all of the victims did not know the shooter.
“I think it’s going to be terrifying and concerning for a lot of Winnipeg,” said Constable Jay Murray with the Winnipeg Police Service, regarding the age of the suspect and the level of violence carried out over such a short period of time. “I think it’s shocking for our community.”
On July 1, the victim, Danielle Dawn Cote, 27, was killed following the shooting in the 400 bock of Flora Avenue. Cote was walking alongside and 18-year-old male when the shooting took place, and was struck as well. The man survived however but remains in hospital in stable condition.
Cote's murder marks the 20th homicide in Winnipeg since January 1, 2020.
Winnipeg Police are now looking into three other shootings that occurred between July 1 and 2. One of which resulted in a 44-year-old man being shot before then being struck by a vehicle on July 1. That man is also now hospital and remains in critical but stable condition.
On July 2, two men were assaulted with weapons near the Forks. Police responded to reports of a shooting and arrived on the scene to see one man suffering from a gunshot wound and the other had been stabbed. Constable Murray noted that the stabbing will be investigated separately.
While discussing the events at a news conference, Winnipeg police revealed that there had even been a fourth incident occurred on July 1, involving an unidentified male and female who were shot at in the 100 block of Isabel Street some time between 2:30-3:15 a.m. Police have not yet determined whether either of the individuals were struck by the shooting and they believe that the two left the area on foot however the investigation remains ongoing.
“We haven’t yet identified any of the two people that we believe were involved in that unreported shooting,” said Murray. “We believe the female was the target in the shooting. We don’t know if she was struck or not.”
On Thursday, police arrested a suspect in North Kildonan and managed to recover the firearm in the process, which they now believe is the same weapon that was used in all four shootings.
The 14-year-old has been charged with first-degree murder, attempt to commit murder using a firearm, attempt to commit murder, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of assault with a weapon, three counts of discharging a firearm with intent and possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order.
The charges have yet to be proven in court and the 14-year-old remains detained in custody. Winnipeg Police Service found no prior record of the youth.
“There’s a possibility that there are other incidents we don’t know about, there is a possibility other charges could be coming to this person or others, so we have to be very careful with what we provide right now,” said Murray, noting that the investigation is still ongoing.
Anyone with information on the Isabel Street shooting is asked to contact Winnipeg police at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.