Since the death of George Floyd, protests have arisen in the United States and become increasingly violent causing the number of injuries and deaths to continue to grow. There have been 17 deaths, numerous assaults and arsons in the riots over George Floyd’s death so far.
Following are many of the known incidents resulting in killed or injured police officers and a number of arrests that have been made as a result of the protests.
Officer injuries/deaths, according to the Federalist:
- David Dorn, a retired police captain, was fatally shot by looters while attempting to protect a friend's store. A graphic video shows the 77-year-old on his back in a pool of blood.
- Shay Mikalonis, a 29-year-old Las Vegas metropolitan police officer received a gunshot wound to the back of the head during a riot. Mikalonis has survived after undergoing brain surgery. Twelve other police were injured in Las Vegas.
- Four police officers in St. Louis were shot—three in the leg or foot and one in the arm.
- Two New York police officer’s were struck by vehicles in separate incidents. One is in stable condition after being hit by an SUV while attempting to stop a robbery and another is in serious but stable condition after also being hit by a vehicle.
- Three law enforcement officers in Buffalo were hit by a vehicle outside of their police station—two are seriously hurt.
- One Davenport, Iowa officer was shot after an ambush and has been released from hospital.
- There were reportedly one hundred and thirty-two officers injured in a Chicago riot including 17 homicides and 48 shootings.
- Nine officers in Pittsburg were injured during a riot.
- Eight to ten police officers were injured in Rhode Island during riots.
- In Oakland, California two officers were shot during a drive by shooting. One was Federal Protective Service Officer Dave Patrick Underwood who was killed.
- Two officers were injured in Santa Ana, California after being struck with projectiles.
- Two officers in Richmond, Virginia were shot and one sustained life-threatening injuries.
- Five officers were injured along with two firefighters in Richland County, South Carolina during riots.
- An Albany, New York officer received injuries after he was hit in the head by a brick.
- Four officers in Prince William County, Virginia received head injuries from projectiles.
- In Sacramento, California seven officers were injured.
- Several officers were injured in Champaign, Illinois during riots.
- Three officers sustained non-life threatening injuries in Oak Lawn Illinois.
- Twenty-one Salt Lake City officers were injured during a protest that turned violent.
- Over 50 Secret Service agents sustained injuries from projectiles in Washington, DC.
- One Denver police officer is in hospital after a vehicle slammed into their Rapid Deployment vehicle.
- Multiple officers were injured in Atlanta, Georgia including Max Brewer who was hit by an ATV.
- Two Capitol Police officers in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania were injured in a riot.
- At least 21 Minneapolis officers have been injured during the riots.
The following are some of the known arrests in connection with the riots, according to Fox News:
- In Albany, New York a 21-year-old man was arrested for throwing a projectile at an officer.
- In Asbury Park, New Jersey multiple arrests were made during a protest turned violent.
- In Columbia, South Carolina over a dozen people were arrested during Saturday protests.
- In Las Vegas, Nevada a 20-year-old suspect has received charges following the shooting.