The Austin Police Department announced Sunday evening that the suspect involved in the Austin Texas massacre that left three dead on Sunday morning is former Travis County Sheriff’s Office detective, Stephen Nicholas Broderick.
The Post Millennial editor-at-large Andy Ngo first reported that suspect Stephen Nicholas Broderick was charged last year over allegations of sexual assault against a minor. The Austin Police Department confirmed that the ex-detective was charged with the rape of a 16-year-old girl last summer.
The shooting that left two Hispanic women and a black male dead happened near the downtown area of Austin TX at approx. 1:00 PM on Sunday, sparking the launch a multi-agency manhunt for the suspect; including help from US Marshals and the FBI.
On June 6 2020, US Marshals arrested Broderick three days after the teen accused him of sexually assaulting her, the Austin American-Statements reported.
Suspect Stephen Broderick reportedly spent 16 days in jail before posting a $50,000 bail. According to court records, his wife filed for divorce and the court granted her a protection order following his arrest— which was a year after the Travis County Sheriffs Law Enforcement Association gave him a promotion, Fox News reported.
The Austin Police Department said Sunday evening that the manhunt for Broderick is still underway and the suspect is considered armed and dangerous.
"We are concerned he might possibly take a hostage," said Interim Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon during a Sunday afternoon press conference.
Chacon went on to say that law enforcement officials have reason to believe Broderick might be sheltered somewhere waiting for law enforcement to leave, giving him the chance for a potential escape.
The Austin Police Department ordered citizens to shelter in place following the shooting earlier Sunday. The order has since been lifted.
According to authorities, Broderick knew the victims but did not provide insight to details. Officials with law enforcement also reported that a young child was involved in the incident but has since been safely located.
Captain Christa Stedman, an EMS spokesperson, said on Twitter that the first 911 call (which indicated that three adults were fatally shot) came in at 11:42 AM. Stedman updated the tweet to include the location of the "active attack" which took place in the 9600 blk of Great Hills.
The area of the massacre includes a strip mall with multiple retail stores and large-scale apartment complexes that sit next to wooded hills.
According to Fox News, a bystander named Josh Katzowitz, who was shopping at a nearby Trader Joe’s, was shocked to see police come "pouring in" as he allegedly didn’t hear the sounds of gunfire.
"The cops had their guns out," he said. "Some had pistols, some had rifles and they were strapping on bulletproof vests. There were all of a sudden ambulances, sirens and police cars There were cops coming from everywhere."
The last update given by the Austin Police Department occurred Sunday afternoon which indicated the manhunt remains underway. They ask for the public to remain vigilant.
This story is developing and will be updated accordingly.