National Guard deployed as riots break out near Minneapolis after police involved shooting

Hundreds gathered and began attacking police vehicles at the scene of a fatal traffic stop with an officer involved shooting in the Brooklyn Center city of Minnesota Sunday evening.

Ari Hoffman Seattle WA

The Minnesota National Guard was deployed in Minnesota after riots broke out in the wake of an officer involved shooting that happened only a short distance from the location where George Floyd died in police custody of May 2020.

According to the Brooklyn Center Police Department, officers initiated a traffic stop at the 6300 block of Orchard Ave shortly before 2 pm Sunday.

A statement from police said that during the stop, officers determined that the driver had an outstanding warrant. As the officers were attempting to take the driver into custody, the driver reentered the vehicle. One officer discharged a firearm striking the driver who then travelled several blocks before crashing.

Officers and medical personnel attempted life saving measures, but the driver died at the scene. According to EMS audio, paramedics arrived at 1:48 pm and found one person dead.

A woman who lives near the crash site said she saw officers pull a man out of a car and perform CPR.  A female passenger in the vehicle sustained non-life threatening injuries and was transported to North Memorial Health Hospital in Robbinsdale. A police officer was also transported to the hospital with injuries, according to the audio.

Hundreds of rioters followed police officers back to the Brooklyn Center precinct in Minneapolis after they left the scene of that police involved shooting earlier in the evening. Rioters closed down Humboldt Ave N. and 67th Ave. with makeshift barricades. Looters broke into GameStop, Walmart, Foot Locker, and other stores, and stole merchandise.

The rioters formed up against a line of officers in riot gear outside police department. Rioters vandalized the property, attacked officers and launched fireworks and other explosives. Police issued an unlawful assembly order and gave the rioters 10 minutes to disperse.

The rioters pushed into the precinct parking lot and in response, police set off flash bangs and launched tear gas to clear the crowd.

Looting has broken out at multiple stores including CVS, Foot Locker, Little Caesar's and Walmart.

Police are now arresting looters at the local Footlocker and Walmart.

Following widespread looting, Mayor Mike Elliot has imposed a curfew until 6AM Monday morning.

The unrest began after hundreds gathered and began attacking police vehicles at the scene of a fatal traffic stop with an officer involved shooting in the Brooklyn Center neighborhood of Minnesota Sunday evening.

Police released a statement saying that an investigation was underway as to that shooting earlier in the day.

A crowd began to gather at the scene later in the day following a rally at St. Paul for families of people killed by police.

The driver was later identified by his mother as Daunte Wright. His mother told reporters at the scene of the demonstration that the 20-year-old called her when he was pulled over and told her the police pulled him over for air fresheners hanging in the mirror. She said his girlfriend was in the car with him at the time of the incident. She said her son asked her for car insurance information over the phone, but then she heard police tell Daunte to get out of the car and that they would explain why once he had complied.  The mother added she then heard someone yell, "Daunte, don't run."

The mother said that soon after, her son’s girlfriend called her to say he had been shot. Wright’s mother said she went to the scene, and saw him "lifeless" by his car.

At approximately 6 pm, over 100 protesters who had gathered, tore down crime scene tape, and began attacking police vehicles and advanced towards Police who were assembled nearby in riot gear. Officers advanced towards the vehicles and pushed the crowd back.

Rioters were seen carrying signs that said "Justice for George Floyd" and "Black Lives Matter" while chanting "F*** the police." The site is approximately 10 minutes away from where Floyd died last May. The area has had the National Guard on site since the beginning of the trial of Derek Chauvin last month.

This is a developing story.


Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me next month

To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© 2024 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy | Do Not Sell My Personal Information