Sources close to the matter told CNN that senior officials reached out to lawyers for multiple witnesses on Wednesday to say that they will not be prosecuting Gaetz.
The decision by the DOJ comes after investigators recommended against charges last year. Prosecutors told Justice Department superiors that a conviction was unlikely due to a lack of credibility with the two central witnesses.
"We have just spoken with the DOJ and have been informed that they have concluded their investigation into Congressman Gaetz and allegations related to sex trafficking and obstruction of justice and they have determined not to bring any charges against him," Gaetz’s lawyers, Marc Mukasey and Isabelle Kirshner, said.
Gaetz's office said that the department informed them that no charges will be brought forward.
Gaetz maintained his innocence throughout the entire investigation after allegations were made that he had paid for sex and had been with women under the age of 18.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month