img
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

CBC pauses production on show that targeted retired cops, conservatives to humiliate them

The broadcaster says it is now reviewing footage after concerns surfaced about how participants were approached.

ADVERTISEMENT

The broadcaster says it is now reviewing footage after concerns surfaced about how participants were approached.

Image
Roberto Wakerell-Cruz Montreal QC
CBC has paused production on a satirical series after backlash over claims the program used misleading tactics to secure interviews and target retired RCMP officers and conservatives. The project, Northland Tales, is a co-production between CBC and APTN and was described by CBC as an entertainment series developed by CBC Entertainment, not CBC News. The broadcaster says it is now reviewing footage after concerns surfaced about how participants were approached.

“It is important for us in the execution that this entertainment series does not negatively impact our news brand. With that context, we are currently pausing on production while we assess the existing footage,” CBC’s statement read, according to the Toronto Sun.

CBC also defended the format, stating: “Social experiments and satirical prank shows are a long-established television format used by broadcasters and streamers around the world, including many public broadcasters. In this case, the Indigenous creators are using the format for Northland Tales. A form of comedy is being deployed to increase better understanding of historical injustices against Indigenous peoples and support truth and reconciliation in Canada."

The controversy centers on reports that participants were allegedly told they were taking part in documentary-style interviews or tribute segments before the tone of the production shifted. One episode reportedly involved retired RCMP officers being flown to Vancouver at the show’s expense, appearing in uniform, and being told they were participating in a project called “After the Call” and being honored for their service. They then had their phones taken away and were scolded over injustices carried out by the RCMP over its history. Friends of those who participated said the officers were humiliated and devastated.

Glen Siegersma, Chief Administrative Officer of the RCMP Veterans Association, said he was unaware of the full scope of the production but raised concerns about the impact on former officers.

“We are aware that a production company has been seeking out retired members of the RCMP,” Siegersma said over the phone Tuesday. He noted that many veterans live with service-related trauma and said the situation raised questions about how participants were treated.

The program first came to the attention of the public after comments from academic Frances Widdowson, who said she was flown to Vancouver for what she believed was a documentary interview before realizing the production was not what it had been represented as.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Sign in to comment

Comments

Powered by The Post Millennial CMS™ Comments

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me next month

To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
ADVERTISEMENT
© 2026 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy