In the wake of the partial collapse of a Surfside, Florida condo building Thursday, establishment media has been quick to denounce Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ seemingly slow response. Documents reveal that the blame should not fall at his feet.
The Washington Post’s Hannah Dreier posted to Twitter a FEMA report on the incident which came out during the morning hours of Thursday. It states that at that time, no requests for state for FEMA assistance had been made.
"FEMA was ready to deploy to the condo collapse almost immediately, and included the crisis in its daily briefing, but didn't get permission from Gov. DeSantis to get on the ground for a full day," wrote Dreier.
In order for state or FEMA assistance to be requested, a chain of command has to be followed. A Governor has to make the request for aid.
According to documents posted by Twitter user Jeremy, an emergency declaration chain of command has to be started by local government officials.
Time to kill another conspiracy theory:
— Jeremy (@EODTEC89) June 27, 2021
How this works:
Emergency declaration from the local government -> state government -> federal government.
The mayor didn’t sign an emergency order until 4:33 pm ET. The governor signed one less than an hour later, at 5:32pm. https://t.co/5cVl1YPFQs pic.twitter.com/uXMubrKxEs
The mayor of Miami-Dade county, where the building is located, didn’t sign an emergency order until 4:33pm, over 12 hours after the building gave way. The incident at Champlain Towers South occurred at around 1:20am.
DeSantis signed an emergency declaration just shy of one hour later, at 5:32pm, which would provide assistance for the families impacted by the collapse as well as allow all necessary resources to be diverted to the area including law enforcement and other emergency personnel, the order said.
Despite her slow signing of an emergency declaration, Miami-made county mayor Daniella Levine Cava told Meet the Press that they were receiving plentiful assistance.
Democrat mayor of Miami-Dade debunks the false narrative that Gov. DeSantis failed to grant FEMA responders access to the Surfside apartment disaster: "The state of Florida has been here in force ... by the end of that day we had FEMA approval. We've not lacked for any support." pic.twitter.com/CcrniKlm1m
— The Post Millennial (@TPostMillennial) June 27, 2021
"We are very grateful. Not only the state of Florida has been here in force, but the President on the morning of the disaster called to offer all possible assistance, and by the end of that day we had FEMA approval. So we’re working super hard to get everything we need and we’ve not lacked for any support, as well as support from around the world," stated Cava.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month
To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy