Liberty Safe reverses course, gives customers ability to protect privacy, will only comply with law enforcement under subpoena

The company will now only comply with law enforcement when subpoenaed.

ADVERTISEMENT
Image
Jarryd Jaeger Vancouver, BC
ADVERTISEMENT
Following backlash over its decision to provide the Federal Bureau of Investigation with the code for alleged January 6 riot attendee Nathan Hughes' gun locker, Liberty Safe has issued a statement reversing course.

Under its new policies, customers will have the ability to remove their combination from the database if they so choose, and the company will only comply with law enforcement when subpoenaed.

https:/twitter.com/libertysafeinc/status/1699606598669459680

"We listen to our customers and update our products and practices in response to their evolving needs," Liberty Safe wrote in a statement released Wednesday evening. "Effective immediately, existing customers can visit www.libertysafe.com/pages/combination-removal and fill out the form to have records of thier access codes expunged." The company added that new customers will have the ability to do so in the coming weeks.

"This change allows customers to take control of how their information is stored and protected," it continued. "We understand that many of our customers are willing to assume the responsibility of safeguarding their own combination." Liberty Safe explained that those who choose to opt out of storing their codes in the database will have "limited recourse" if they lose access.

The company went on to note that it had revised its policies regarding compliance with law enforcement.

"Going forward," it said, "we will require a subpoena that legally compels Liberty Safe to supply access codes but can only do so if these codes still exist in our system."



The news was met with mixed reactions. Some, including Tim Pool, applauded Liberty Safe for their decision, while others questioned whether the company would actually hold true to its promise.

In the case of Hughes, Liberty Safe explained that it had been contacted by the FBI requesting the access code to the gun locker on his property, for which they had a search warrant.



"After receiving the request, we received proof of the valid warrant, and only then did we provide them with an access code," the company said in a statement, adding that it "had no knowledge of any of the details surrounding the investigation at the time."
 
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Sign in to comment

Comments

Powered by StructureCMS™ Comments

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me next month

To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
ADVERTISEMENT
© 2024 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy | Do Not Sell My Personal Information