Alberta man who killed 7-year-old girl was assessed by police, mental health professionals hours before murder

Edmonton Police Service confirmed the mother's account on Friday that police "were made aware" that Moss was "experiencing mental concerns."
Collin Jones The Post Millennial

The man accused of killing a seven-year-old girl just hours after being assessed by mental health professionals and the police appeared in court Friday morning.

David Moss, 34, is being charged with second-degree murder in the death of Bella Desrosiers, who was stabbed to death in her Mill Woods home Monday night, according to CTV News.

The girl's mother, Melissa Desrosiers, said that Moss was a family friend who happened to be mentally unwell.

Edmonton Police Service confirmed the mother's account on Friday that police "were made aware" that Moss was "experiencing mental concerns."

The police said two constables and an Alberta Health Services (AHS) mental health professional had assessed Moss at his home earlier Monday and had made an appointment for him with a doctor.

Though the police did not specify what the qualifications were of the mental health professional, they said the Police and Crisis Team (PACT) left, leaving Moss in the support of his friend.

Desrosiers mentioned that Moss had missed the appointment, and she offered to let him spend the night at her family's home with plans to take him to the hospital the next day.

As the mother was putting her seven and four-year-old daughter to sleep, Moss attacked with a pair of scissors. Desrosiers was unable to save the oldest.

None of the allegations against Moss have yet been tested or proven in court.

The police say PACT only learned of Moss' missed meeting through AHS, and spoke with him over the phone.

"Melissa Desrosiers, who was a friend of Mr. Moss, went to his home to speak with him and provide support," a statement from EPS reads. "He subsequently attended her residence with her where the tragic events later occurred."

She shared with the media that her family had become advocates for mental health after her husband, Ben, committed suicide in July.

Desrosiers said that one of Bella's last activities—welcoming Moss into her home and drawing him a picture to cheer him up—was symbolic of her caring and compassionate nature.

"We are so proud of the amazing resilience she had in coping with the loss of her father last July. She did this by using her honest, vulnerable and empathetic nature with everyone she met."

Moss was arrested Monday at the scene in Mill Woods.

His first court appearance was on Wednesday.

Join us!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Thank You!

Support The Post Millennial
Accepted payment methods: Visa, Mastercard, American Express  and Paypal
Collin Jones
Join The Discussion