Portland Antifa spread hoax that homeless man who died of natural causes was killed by police

On Wednesday, officials confirmed that Echols had died of natural causes.

Jarryd Jaeger Vancouver, BC
On Tuesday, Portland Antifa members posted on X claiming that a homeless man who was found dead in nearby Gresham on July 29 had been killed by police. The Multnomah County Medical Examiner has since revealed, however, that 46-year-old William Echols died of natural causes.

The Antifa accounts pushed their theory after Echols' ex-partner, Donna Hayes, posted on Facebook claiming that one of her family members had been beaten to death by the cops. She is related to Quanice Hayes, the 17-year-old who was shot dead by police in 2017 after allegedly robbing a man while high on drugs and carrying a replica firearm.

"The kops did it again," Hayes said. "They took out another one of my family member here in Portland. They beat him to death." 

Her post, which did not name Echols as the victim, received hundreds of reactions and was shared dozens of times.

On Tuesday evening, a number of prominent Antifa accounts, including one operated in part by notorious far-left intimidator Danialle Inez James, parroted Hayes' claims and called for direct action.

"We're about to show up," RisingPDX posted. "Kops have ... beat to death a member of Quanice Hayes family."

"Alright, gear up," another replied.

Elizabeth Renee Richter, who was recently a defendant in a civil trial brought forth by Andy Ngo, also appeared to spread the hoax.

It was only later that night that Echols' name was dropped as the victim of what was believed to be another police beating.

On Wednesday, it was confirmed that he had died of natural causes.

"Investigators spoke to potential witnesses, reviewed surveillance video, and searched Echol's vehicle pursuant to a signed search warrant," Gresham Police said in a statement. "A Multnomah County deputy medical examiner responded to the scene and a full examination was subsequently performed. Detectives learned from the examination that Echols died of natural causes, specifically 'gastrointestinal hemorrhaging.' Detectives determined that the health event caused Echols to fall and hit his head on the ground in the parking lot, which caused the injury to his head."

In the days following Echols' death, a GoFundMe was set up by his daughter, Alexis, on behalf of her mother, his ex, Heather. In the description, Alexis said her dad had died as the result of a "sudden unknown medical emergency."

"My dad didn't have a lot to give but he was adventurous, smart, funny, and he loved us the best way he knew how," she added. "We will use this money for funeral and memorial services and additional funds will go directly to his children."

The GoFundMe has since raised nearly $4,500, with $135 coming in the days since Antifa spread the false claim that Echols was killed by police.
Sign in to comment


Powered by StructureCMS™ Comments

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial

Remind me next month

To find out what personal data we collect and how we use it, please visit our Privacy Policy

By signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy
© 2024 The Post Millennial, Privacy Policy | Do Not Sell My Personal Information