Canadian News Jan 14, 2021 4:41 PM EST

Trudeau Liberals aim to 'protect' Canadians from social media 'hate speech'

The Trudeau Liberals are aiming to introduce 2021 regulations to end hurtful or hateful content on social media, said Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault

Trudeau Liberals aim to 'protect' Canadians from social media 'hate speech'
Roberto Wakerell-Cruz Montreal, QC
Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Support The Post Millennial

The Trudeau Liberals are aiming to introduce 2021 regulations to end hurtful or hateful content on social media, said Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault, according to new reporting from Blacklock's Reporter.

"We intend a comprehensive approach with the tabling of a bill in early 2021 that will apply to the various platforms," said the department in a briefing note titled "Regulation Of Social Media Platforms."

"We are working to introduce regulations to reduce the spread of illegal content, including hate speech, in order to promote a safer and more inclusive online environment. We want to protect Canadians online." Hate speech was made forbidden in Canada in 1970.

"Social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter are increasingly central to participation in democratic, cultural and public life," the briefing continued. "However, social media platforms can also be used to threaten, intimidate, bully and harass people, or used to promote racist, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic, misogynist and homophobic views that target communities, put people’s safety and risk and undermine Canada’s social cohesion or democracy."

Guilbeault has previously received criticism for a flip-flop on licensing media outlets in Canada, as well as providing taxpayer dollars to news sources the Liberals considered "reliable."

"In order to get through this crisis, it's crucial Canadians can obtain authoritative, well-sourced, and factual information related to COVID-19. This is why the government of Canada is taking immediate action so Canadians can continue to access diverse and reliable sources of news," said Guilbeault in March.

Guilbeault also announced that $30 million dollars would be fast tracked to go to outlets during the first wave of the COVID-19 coverage.

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial