The World Health Organization (WHO) is putting together an independent panel in order to review its response to the coronavirus pandemic and the way the governments responded, according to Reuters.
The announcement was made on Thursday by the WHO after the US said earlier this week, that it will be withdrawing from the organization in a year’s time. It was also harshly criticized by President Donald Trump who called the WHO “China-centric" in April.
“This is not a standard report that ticks a box and is then put on a shelf to gather dust. This is something we take seriously,” said Tedros.
He noted that an interim report would be provided to an annual health ministers meeting.
Helen Clark, the former Prime Minister of New Zealand will be heading the panel along with former Liberian President Ellen Johson Sirleaf. The two will also be choosing its members, said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during a virtual meeting.
Clark said the assignment “could only be described as exceptionally challenging.”
In May, Tedros said that a resolution from the European Union to assess the global response following the pandemic, was unanimously adopted by the WHO’s member states.
Over 12 million people have been infected with the virus and approximately 548,000 have died.