As the big tech tyrants tighten their grip, join us for more free speech at Parler—the anti-censorship social media platform.
Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet is demanding an apology from the Trudeau government for passing the War Measures Act, which was passed during the October Crisis, 50 years ago.
The act was passed under the Pierre Trudeau government at the request of Quebec Premier Robert Bourassa, and Montreal mayor Jean Drapeau. Armed forces were deployed onto the streets, as FLQ terrorists bombed the streets of the city in their mission to dismantle Anglo domination in the province. Over 200 bombings occurred between 1963 and 1970.
Now, Blanchet is pushing for an apology from Trudeau on behalf of his father, as the act allowed the army to arrest and detain nearly 500 Quebecers without charge.
"You cannot pretend to be deeply in love with Quebec without respecting the desire of Quebecers to receive some apologies from Her Majesty's government," said Blanchet on Wednesday.
The Canadian Press reports that Opposition House leader Gerard Deltell said the Conservatives will vote against the motion on Thursday.
"For us the October Crisis is first and foremost the death of the deputy premier of Quebec, Pierre Laporte, a guy who had been elected by the people of Quebec who had been killed by terrorists," said Deltell.
Blanchet has not secured support from any other parties.