Sources told The New York Times that the former "Daily Show" host and Apple executives decided to part ways and that the show’s staff was told on Thursday of the cancelation even as the taping of the third season was scheduled to begin in a few weeks.
Stewart’s show “The Problem” debuted two years ago and was touted as the comedian’s triumphant return to the talk show format after a six-year absence.
The Times reported that Stewart and Apple executives disagreed about the Emmy-nominated show's topics and guests and that when Stewart broke the news to the staff, he informed them that potential show topics discussing China, artificial intelligence, and the 2024 presidential campaign were points of contention for the Apple executives.
With the upcoming presidential election, The Times speculated that “The Problem” could have generated political controversy for the tech giant with its over 18.8 million subscribers - a controversy similar to conservative boycotts of Disney or liberals challenging Starbucks over firearm safety.
"The Problem" had trouble gaining traction; the second season garnered an Emmy nod and generated several viral clips. Many of the clips were subject to mockey, however.
Stewart had a track record of success having previously taken "The Daily Show" from a low-rated late-night series into a popular show from 1999 to 2015.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month