Canadian News Jun 1, 2021 2:50 PM EST

Indigenous groups call for search for more graves after discovery in Kamloops

Indigenous groups around Canada call for more searches to find more suspected mass graves located near residential schools.

Indigenous groups call for search for more graves after discovery in Kamloops
Brendan Boucher Ottawa, ON
Privacy and free speech are under attack.
Take back your internet freedom with Surfshark.
Save 81% now
Privacy and free speech are under attack. Take back your internet freedom with Surfshark.

After the remains of 215 children were found near the Kamloops Indian Residential School last week, Indigenous leaders are calling on the Trudeau government to aid in the search for more of these graves that are suspected to exist. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, in the 4th volume of the report, titled ‘Missing Children and Unmarked Burials,’ identified at least 3,200 children who died at residential schools but could be as high as 6,000. Out of that number, only around 2,000 have been identified.

The government initially rejected $1.5 million in requested funding for the search but in 2019 announced $33.8 million over three years for a ‘National Residential School Student Death Register’ which was aimed at creating an online registry of those who died in residential schools. The discovery of the 215 sets of remains has renewed calls to investigate the unaccounted-for children who were taken to residential school further, reports Reuters.

The new energy behind this effort stems from the Tk’emlúps te Secwe?pemc First Nation announcing they had found the remains of 215 children, some as young as three years old, buried near the Kamloops Indian Residential School, once Canada’s largest residential school. The Tk’emlúps te Secwe?pemc First Nation have released very little detail about the site; the site was discovered using ground-penetrating radar.

"A thorough investigation into all former residential school sites could lead to more truths of the genocide against our people," said Perry Bellegarde, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations. Prime Minister Trudeau said, "I think there will be more that we will do," but did not elaborate.

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial