On Friday, officials in Maui announced that a list of 388 names of people who have been considered missing since the wildfires' start on August 8 is just a subset of a longer list where there are still hundreds of additional missing people.
Honolulu FBI Special Agent in Charge Steven Merrill said at a press conference, The 388 names were names that we had more information on." He added, "These 388 names are a subset of a larger list. We care about every single person on that list and we will not rest until we know how each of those people are doing on that list."
Merrill then revealed that in the 24 hours after the list was published "100 people or more" were taken off of that list because they got in touch and are "safe and sound."
"We also welcome additional people being added to the list," he said.
In a video posted online Thursday, Maui County Police Chief John Pelletier said the criteria to be on the validated list of 388 people was if they were provided with a first and last name, as well as a point of contact of who reported them missing.
Merrill said, "We have been able to find at least two-thirds of them to be safe and sound." He added, "That is a success, but it doesn't diminish the fact that we are still looking for many other people."
Pelletier said Friday, that the process is slow because they "have to vet each and every person calling in, to make sure it is what it seems." He added that he wants to provide a weekly update to the list but cautioned "We don't want to be premature just to take them off. Unfortunately, people are not that honest and reporting with integrity when they call in."
Earlier this week, FBI investigators revealed that they had a list of over 1,000 names that were working to validate and account for. As of Thursday, the death toll was at 115 individuals confirmed deceased but only 46 of the bodies had been identified.
Officials are asking anyone with additional information to call the FBI at (808) 566-4300 or email HN-COMMAND-POST@ic.fbi.gov as soon as possible. To add an individual to the list they are asking people to email email@example.com to provide more information.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month