Ontario has released their COVID-19 death and infection predictions. According to the government's own figures, 80,000 cases are expected by April 30, based on current intervention levels.
Doctor Peter Donnelly told viewers that the objective of the meeting is to "share the modelling and projection data that command table has been using to inform our work and has been using to advise government on their response to COVID-19."
With figures in the 4,000s expected, Donnelly said that there is a range expected in the death toll. A best case scenario would see 3,000 dead.
So far, there have been 67 deaths in the province. Anderson said the high mortality rate in those over the age of 80 sits at 16 percent, four percentage points lower than the global average.
The death rate for those over 70 is roughly 10 percent, globally.
COVID deaths, Donnelly said, would exceed 100,000 without public health measures. Between 3,000 to 15,000 deaths are projected with public health measures set in place over the next two years.
To get closer to the 3,000 end than 15,000, Donnelly said Ontarians need to continue in isolation, and taking additional public health measures.
"There is a range, because where we end up depends on all of us. If we follow the rules, if we do our best to socially distance, if we look after the elderly and the vulnerable in our society, we can get within that range and we can strive to get as low as possible within that range," Donnelly said.
"I understand to many people that these will be shocking figures," Donnelly continued. "Further actions are being proposed and are being taken."
Ontario Health CEO said the April to early may time frame will see an overwhelming of ICU capacity. "We are trying everything we can to try to increase the capacity that we have to respond to this disease... We need everyone to play their part."