Former President Donald Trump said he was “shocked" by the news that Tucker Carlson was parting ways with Fox News in an interview on Newsmax Monday night.
During an appearance on Newsmax's Greg Kelly Reports just hours after the news broke the former president said, "Well, I'm shocked, I'm surprised."
"Tucker Carlson was sitting here two weeks ago, interviewing you," Kelly said, referring to the long form interview Trump gave to Tucker earlier this month. "he's gone. What do you make of that?"
"Well, I'm shocked," Trump said. "I'm surprised. He's a very good person and very good man and very talented, as you know, and he had very high ratings. We're just learning about it almost as we speak. You and I just said, 'wow, that was something that's a big one.' I don't know if it was voluntary, or was it– somebody fired, but I think Tucker has been terrific. He's been especially over the last year or so. He's been terrific to me."
"There's a lot of turmoil over there, Fox," Kelly said. "$787 [milion] they just paid? Why would they get rid of a guy who's performing? Why would somebody do that to their business because they're losing money right now their stock has gone down."
"Well, I was surprised that they made a settlement. In that case, I thought that was a case that should easily be won," Trump said of the lawsuit brought against Fox by Dominion Voting Systems over the network's coverage of allegations brought against the company by the Trump campaign in the wake of the 2020 presidential election.
"And they made a settlement," Trump said. "Look, you'll have to ask them– I'm not representing them at all, by any by any means. But the Tucker situation again, you don't know if it's a firing maybe he left because he wasn't being given his free rein. He wants free rein, maybe but I was surprised by it."
Trump shared his thoughts on Truth Social, as well, saying "The fact that Tucker Carlson will no longer be on Fox News is a big blow to cable news, and to America. Tucker was insightful interesting and ratings gold. He will be greatly missed!"
Fox News has not revealed why it had suddenly parted ways with Carlson. Carlson's departure was so sudden that the network was airing promotional segments for Carlson's show on Monday morning just as they released the information, via press release, that Carlson and the network had agreed to sever ties. Carlson's show Monday night was hosted by Fox veteran Brian Killmeade.
Carslon only discovered he was out on Monday morning. Following the announcement, Jack Posobiec revealed that Carlson's executive producer Justin Wells is also leaving Fox News. "RIP Fox" was trending on Twitter after the announcement.
The decision to part ways with Carlson comes less than a week after Fox Corporation and Dominion Voting Systems reached a $787 million settlement. There were additional insinuations from a former Tucker producer, Abby Grossberg, who is suing Fox and claims she experienced "sexual behavior" while working for the show.
Carlson's show premiered in November 2016 and was the top-rated show on cable news.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month