Trudeau won't commit to inquiry into Nova Scotia mass shooting

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will not commit to an inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting, the deadliest in Canadian history.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will not commit to an inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting, the deadliest in Canadian history.

Earlier this month, Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil said that he would wait and see what the federal government will do before making any commitments himself.

During his coronavirus press conference with reporters on Friday, Trudeau said that the RCMP is working on an investigation. Trudeau sidestepped the question on whether or not his government will launch its own inquiry.

"People have many questions about what happened in Nova Scotia. We're encouraging the RCMP to continue its work on the initial investigation. As we move forward there will be, of course, be larger questions to ask and we will be working with the government of Nova Scotia to get those answers," Trudeau said.

According to Canadian Press, "a former neighbour of the gunman has said she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the Mounties in the summer of 2013."

The RCMP has come under fire in recent weeks for its handling of the case, with many Nova Scotians demanding answers. McNeil has previously stated that he has been in talks with the Trudeau government about a possible inquiry.