The US Department of Defense (DoD) recently announced that it will be providing Ukraine with “critical new security assistance,” including “the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance with more ammunition for US-provided HIMARS, air defense interceptors, and artillery rounds” that Ukraine is apparently using to defend itself against Russia.
The DoD is also equipping Kyiv with “anti-armor systems, small arms, heavy equipment transport vehicles, and maintenance support,” all of which is reportedly valued at up to $500 million, per a report.
This comes as Russia has recently announced that European ally Belarus now has fighter jets capable of transporting nuclear weapons, which has inevitably raised the stakes of the conflict playing out in Ukraine. Additionally, the Kremlin has warned of countermeasures following NATO’s welcoming of Finland into the organization on Tuesday. Finland shares an 800-mile border with Russia, which raises questions about whether NATO will install military infrastructure close to the border.
This Presidential Drawdown is the 35th drawdown of equipment that the Biden administration has authorized since August 2021, which includes air defense capabilities, tank ammunition, artillery, mortar systems, rockets, and anti-armor systems by “using $2.1 billion in Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) funds.”
The DoD listed the details of precisely what is being sent over to aid Ukraine in the conflict:
- Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
- Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
- 155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
- 120mm mortar rounds;
- 120mm and 105mm tank ammunition;
- 25mm ammunition;
- Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
- Approximately 400 grenade launchers and 200,000 rounds of ammunition;
- 11 tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
- 61 heavy fuel tankers;
- 10 trucks and 10 trailers to transport heavy equipment;
- Testing and diagnostic equipment to support vehicle maintenance and repair;
- Spare parts and other field equipment.
The DoD will apparently be providing the following under USAI:
- Additional munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS);
- Nine counter-Unmanned Aerial System 30mm gun trucks;
- 10 mobile c-UAS laser-guided rocket systems;
- Three air surveillance radars;
- 30mm and 23mm anti-aircraft ammunition;
- 130mm and 122mm artillery rounds;
- 122mm GRAD rockets;
- Rocket launchers and ammunition;
- 120mm and 81mm mortar systems;
- 120mm, 81mm, and 60mm mortar rounds;
- 120mm tank ammunition;
- Javelin anti-armor systems;
- Anti-armor rockets;
- Precision aerial munitions;
- Approximately 3,600 small arms and more than 23,000,000 rounds of small arms ammunition;
- Seven tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
- Eight heavy fuel tankers and 105 fuel trailers;
- Armored bridging systems;
- Four logistics support vehicles;
- Trucks and ten trailers to transport heavy equipment;
- Secure communications equipment;
- SATCOM terminals and services;
- Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month