Premier Doug Ford gave a press conference following the reveal of Ontario's infection and death figures, announcing additional work closures across the province.
"I've asked experts to provide you with the same briefing and information that I have access to as premier," said Ford before thanking the doctors who gave the information earlier on Friday.
"Today, you saw some drastic numbers. These numbers are stark, and they're sobering," said Ford. "The reality is, the early chapters of our story have already been written. There's some things that are out of anyone's hands."
Ford called on all Ontarians to take responsible action to help slow the spread of COVID-19. "We've seen today we can lower these numbers... But as it stands, by the end of this month, we could see as many as 80,000 people in Ontario inflicted with this terrible virus," said Ford.
"Over 1,600 people could be dead by the end of April. That's 50 a day. Two people every hour," said Ford, visibly watery eyed.
"Is a life worth a picnic in the park? Is it worth going to the beach? Is a life worth having a few cold ones with your buddies in the basement? The answer is no," said Ford.
Ford urged Ontarians to listen to data and to take COVID warning seriously.
Effective Saturday April 4 at 11:59 pm, Ford will be directing additional workplaces to close. All industrial construction will stop, and "only necessary" infrastructure will be continuing, such as hospital.
Projections and figures from top doctors
Ontario's death figures, released Friday afternoon, predicted that over 80,000 infections will occur in Ontario, with as many as 1,600 dead by April 30.
Doctor Peter Donnelly told viewers that the objective of the meeting is to "share the modelling and projection data that command table has been using to inform our work and has been using to advise government on their response to COVID-19."
So far, there have been 67 deaths in the province. Anderson said the high mortality rate in those over the age of 80 sits at 16 percent, four percentage points lower than the global average.
The death rate for those over 70 is roughly 10 percent, globally.
COVID deaths, Donnelly said, would exceed 100,000 without public health measures. Between 3,000 to 15,000 deaths are projected with public health measures set in place over the next two years.