Canadian News May 14, 2021 12:27 AM EST

NEW POLL: 73% of Canadians stand up for free speech, reject Bill C-10

73% chose freedom of expression over any Canadian government effort to regulate content.

NEW POLL: 73% of Canadians stand up for free speech, reject Bill C-10
Nick Monroe Cleveland, Ohio
Track all your assets in one place — Traditional & Crypto.
Try it for free for the next 14 days!
Track all your assets in one place—Traditional & Crypto with Kubera.com

A majority of the Canadian general public want to maintain the right to say what they’d like without excessive government oversight.

As highlighted by True North, 73% of Canadians prefer to maintain their freedom of speech over Bill C-10, a government effort that would attempt to enforce Canada’s Broadcasting Act onto social media platforms and the internet.

The poll was conducted by Public Square Research and Maru/Blue. In somewhat alarming detail, however, 72% of 1508 Canadians polled had never even heard of C-10. When it came down to the remaining 28% who were aware of the bill, it was: 31% supportive vs 53% unsupportive, either strongly or “somewhat.”

The controversial proposal was put on hold earlier this week as a committee of MPs are reviewing it to see if it violates Canadian free speech rights.

In a significant step today, Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole publicly called on Justin Trudeau to withdraw C-10 altogether. He went on to make it an election promise to repeal the bill himself, if Trudeau wouldn’t.

On Wednesday, Former vice-chair of the CRTC Peter Menzies joined the pushback. He criticized the wide ranging scope of the bill and how it's vague enough to be manipulated by the Canadian government on a whim. He said it had created a new societal divide between the government approved and non-approved.

The polarizing nature of the bill is forcing a clash of realities. Recently Dr. Jordan Peterson publicly challenged Trudeau over Bill C-10. On Twitter, Peterson pointed out that he has a million more YouTuber subscribers over the Canadian Broadcast Corporation. He questioned what that meant: does it mean Peterson is more of a success, or is the Canadian establishment more of a failure? In terms of adapting to the digital age.

Ads by revcontent

Join and support independent free thinkers!

We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.

Support The Post Millennial