The FBI Washington Office of Public Affairs stated that the suspect, who was seen in surveillance footage placing bombs outside of the Capitol Hill offices on the evening of January 5, has yet to be identified nearly two years later.
"Two years into the investigation, identifying the perpetrator of this attempted attack remains a priority for the FBI, ATF, MPD, and the US Capitol Police," the statement reads.
"For two years, a dedicated team of FBI agents, analysts, and law enforcement partners have been tirelessly reviewing evidence and digital media related to this case," said David Sundberg, FBI Washington Field Office assistant director.
The FBI said they and their partners have conducted approximately 1,000 interviews, visited more than 1,200 residences and businesses, collected more than 39,000 video files, and assessed nearly 500 tips in their investigation of the matter.
"We remain grateful to the American people, who have provided invaluable tips that have helped us advance the investigation," Sundberg continued. "With the significantly increased reward, we urge those who may have previously hesitated to contact us — or who may not have realized they had important information — to review the information on our website and come forward with anything relevant. Despite the unprecedented volume of data review involved in this case, the FBI and our partners continue to work relentlessly to bring the perpetrator of these dangerous attempted attacks to justice."
ATF Washington Field Division Acting Special Agent in Charge Christopher Amon joined Sundberg in vowing to continue investigating.
"We are proud to stand alongside our partners as we increase our reward contribution to help identify the person or persons responsible for placing these pipe bombs and threatening our community," said Amon. "The ATF's determination and commitment to this investigation will not waver. Public safety is of the utmost priority in this ongoing investigation, and we remain dedicated to making sure those responsible are brought to justice."
DC Police Chief Robert J. Contee III made note of MPD's collaboration with federal law enforcement agencies.
"MPD continues to work alongside our federal partners to locate the individual or individuals behind these heinous attempted acts," Contee said. "We know our most powerful tool is information from our community. With your help and our federal partnerships, the DC Metropolitan Police Department will remain focused on bringing this matter to closure—for the safety of our entire community."
The statement ended with a request for readers to send tips that may lead to a break in the case.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me next month