The Trudeau Liberals are proposin $1,337 in compensation for turning in an AR-15 under their mandatory "buyback" program.
That price, along with all others, was released in a list that details exactly how much gunowners can expect for returning their "banned" firearms under the Trudeau program.
More expensive models include the Swiss Arms SG550, which can be traded in for $6,209.
Proposed compensation amounts are still open for input from gun owners and industry experts until August 29, reports the Canadian Press.
The new mandatory gun "buyback" covers over 1,500 models of guns that the government banned two years ago after deeming them to be "assault-style" firearms.
"It will be mandatory for owners to take part in the buyback program, have their designated firearms rendered inoperable at the government's expense or otherwise lawfully disposed of," the Canadian Press writes.
Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said that "today’s proposed price list represents another step towards getting these dangerous firearms out of Canadian communities while ensuring current owners are compensated fairly." The prices represent what Canadians would have paid for the firearm prior to May 2020.
There is an amnesty period until Oct. 30, 2023, to protect lawful owners of the prohibited firearms so that they can take time to follow the required steps to comply with the Trudeau government's laws.
"The compensation models and other program details will be finalized in the coming months, and all known firearm owners will be contacted about how they can participate in the buyback program," the government said.
The buyback, coupled with the Trudeau Liberals' so-called freeze on buying and selling of handguns, has drawn heavy criticism from some, including Conservative MPs, who say that the bill does nothing but target responsible and lawful gun owners.
As reported in October, the Trudeau gun buyback program has still not collected its first firearm, despite a rising price tag for the Canadian public. The cost of the buyback program has topped $1.5 million last year.
The Firearms Buyback Secretariat, the government body created specifically for this issue, has so far chewed through some $2.2 million in public funding on operational expenses, as of last year. The government is planning to continue to fund them, despite the total lack of results, to the tune of another $4 million.
Join and support independent free thinkers!
We’re independent and can’t be cancelled. The establishment media is increasingly dedicated to divisive cancel culture, corporate wokeism, and political correctness, all while covering up corruption from the corridors of power. The need for fact-based journalism and thoughtful analysis has never been greater. When you support The Post Millennial, you support freedom of the press at a time when it's under direct attack. Join the ranks of independent, free thinkers by supporting us today for as little as $1.
Remind me in September